No Matter What Happens Today...

This morning wasn't as tough as I expected. Knowing that today was the BIG DAY--Election Day 2016--had been bringing some anxiety and weariness to my heart and soul. But today, I have peace. Blessed peace.

Which seems odd.

I could not have peace today on my own. I know that I am simply not capable of it. There are so many questions tossing around in my head, my heart, and my soul today about the status of our country.


When did we become so DIVIDED? How do we reconcile that children go hungry and the elderly live in horrific conditions alone and forgotten in a country that once opened its arms to the tired, the poor, the huddled masses who yearn to breathe FREE, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, the homeless and tempest-tossed? What became of a nation UNITED under God?


Today also my complaint is bitter, 
my hand is heavy on account of groaning. 
Oh, that I knew where I might find him [God],
that I might come even to his seat! 
I would lay my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments. 
I would know what he would answer me 
and understand what he would say to me. 
Would he [God] contend with me in the greatness of his power? 
No; he would pay attention to me. 
There an upright man could argue with him, 
and I would be acquitted forever by my judge. 
Behold, I go forward, but he is not there, 
and backward, but I do not perceive him; 
on the left hand when he is working, 
I do not behold him; 
he turns to the right hand, but I do not behold him.... 
But he is unchangeable, and who can turn him back? 
What he desires, that he does. 
For he will complete what he appoints for me, 
and many such things are in his mind. 
(Job 23:2-9, 13-14)

My heart is broken for the state of our country. I can hardly bear the hatred and vitriol I've seen displayed in social media amongst those of differing beliefs. I have not unfriended anyone because of it, but I've been heartbroken by the anger and hatred from all sides. I have chosen not to engage in battles of opinion. For me, political views are simply that--opinions. And as car salesmen say, there's a seat for every butt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. At least, once upon a time, I believed that this was one of the great qualities of our nation.

Today?

Today I do the only thing I know to do. I vote. I make tough choices, not because I'm confident that my vote is right or wrong--a vote is an opinion after all, and one that I am entitled to under the Constitution should I decide to exercise it--but because I know that whatever happens today, whatever the results of this election, God is still going to be in control.

The King is on His throne. He was, He is, and He will be tomorrow and forever. No matter how badly I mess up, our friends and countrymen vote, and our elected officials move this country. God is still OMNIPOTENT, OMNIPRESENT,  and OMNISCIENT. He is my ALL in ALL. He is the source of the peace which passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7). He is the King that reigned at the flood, and He continues to sit on His throne reigning today (Psalm 29:10). He has asked me to love my neighbor as myself (Mark 12:31), and that as far as I can control it, I should live in peace with all people (Romans 12:18).

So I have peace. While today will leave its mark in history, I have no need to FEAR the outcome as long as I trust that God is in control.

Abba, it's so easy to get upset and worked up when things around me seem to be going all wrong. I get so worked up that I can't even do the things that you have given me the power and right to do. Instead of being part of a solution, Daddy, I spend time moaning about all that is wrong. Today I choose differently. Today I am choosing to trust You and to do whatever small thing I can do to be a part of the solution. I will not engage in name-calling, shaming others, or being angry about those things I can't control. With your help, Abba, I will do my part to live in peace with others and to respect differences in opinions. I will encourage those around me to do the same. Lord, please bless our country no matter what happens today. In Jesus' name, AMEN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My birthday...but a wish for you

Hoarding--it's not about the STUFF

The FREE PWH Workbook