Becoming a Great Actress

Something I've struggled with for just about as long as I can remember is an ability to dream and plan. For most of my adult life, if you asked me where I wanted to be, what I wanted to achieve in the next five years, I'd look at you with a blank stare.

Who me?
Borrowed from YourSoulGuidance dot com

I have no idea!

For a long time, I believed that I was different. I thought that my inability to shape a future dream or goal and follow it meant that I had missed some magical element when God was baking my batch of cookies. Why couldn't I dream? set goals? create a plan and act on it?

I didn't know, but when I began this journey to find the real me, The Real Ceci G, I sought resources everywhere I could find them. Many of the things I've found helpful have come from the 12 step programs. Although I can't claim to have "worked the steps", I've used the steps to keep me moving on my journey.

One of the things I found very helpful when I starting out is the "Laundry List", created by the Adult Children of Alcoholics--a list of 14 traits that they found they had in common. At some point in my life, I've identified with the traits, and I still work daily to overcome these traits. The 14th trait is what I am focusing on in 2012:

We are reactors rather than actors.

Ouch! I have been a great re-actor my whole life. But becoming an actress requires me to change my life view, to become PRO-active, and not simply RE-active. And this change is much harder than it seems.

Today, I'm taking a huge step in becoming a great actress: I'm creating a life plan. Yep. Sounds quirky, odd, off the wall, maybe even nerdy. But those are all things I'm proud to be! (You see, that is who the Real Ceci G is, and she is okay with that!)

I don't want to end up at the end of my life and look back saying, "If only I had..." or "I wish I had been more..." Instead, I am going to take the perspective that I can plan ahead so that when my life is over, I can say that I've done everything humanly possible to do and be the person I want to be.

Such a revolutionary idea, and so simple to do. But first, I have to give up being simply a reactor. I have to make a CHOICE to be something powerful in the world, in my life, in my family. I have to CHOOSE to determine who I want to be, and then I also have to CHOOSE to take full responsibility for ME and my choices/actions (I cannot be responsible for you and your choices, sorry).

If you are looking for a great resource to create your own life plan, I highly recommend Michael Hyatt's blog, Intentional Leadership. If you sign up to receive email updates on his blog, you can download his e-book on creating a Life Plan. I've got mine in front of me, and my goal for this week is to work on my plan.

What are you going to do to change your life this week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My birthday...but a wish for you

Hoarding--it's not about the STUFF

Admitting the Truth, Uncovering the Lie